gymnastics

Junior Kristen Harabedian dismounts from bars during N.C. State gymnastics meet against West Virginia Friday, Jan. 23, 2013. Harabedian scored a 9.725 on bars in the Wolfpack's close win with a score of 195.200-195.150 at Reynolds Coliseum. 

Friday, the N.C. State gymnastics team (1-2-1) sent the West Virginia Mountaineers (2-3) home with a loss while the Wolfpack took the win by scoring 195.200 points, a season-high for the team, against West Virginia’s 195.150.

Juniors Diahanna Ham and Stephanie Ouellette led the way for State, finishing first and third respectively overall in the meet. Ham ended the meet with a score of 39.125 points, and Ouellette finished with 38.975 points. Freshman Michaela Woodford left the meet with 38.700 points, finishing fourth.

The Pack began the event on the vault. Ham led the team with 9.850 points, second overall in the contest. Senior Morgan Johnson tied for the third place slot with 9.800 points. West Virginia freshman Jaida Lawrence earned first on the vault with a score of 9.875. Ouellette and freshmen Michaela Woodford and Brittni Watkins rounded out the rest of State’s scores with 9.775, 9.750 and 9.725 points respectively, which helped it take an early lead with a score of 48.900-48.600.

The uneven parallel bars were the next stop for the Pack. Ouellette and senior Rachel Fincham tied for first place with a score of 9.775. Mountaineer senior Kaylyn Millick and junior Erica Smith tied with Ouellette and Fincham for first as well. Watkins, junior Kristen Harabedian and Ham scored 9.750, 9.725 and 9.675 points respectively to conclude State’s scoring on the bars, scoring a season-high 48.700 total points and maintaining the team’s lead for the meet by a margin of 0.175 with a score of 97.600-97.425.

The outcome became uncertain following the balance beam. West Virginia took the top three spots in the event while Ham shared the third place spot with Smith. Millick and West Virginia junior Amanda Carpenter placed first and second respectively. Fincham and Woodford both scored 9.750 points while Ouellette and junior Hannah Fallanca each scored 9.700 points. West Virginia came back to take a slim lead by a score of 146.300-146.250.

The Pack shut the door on its victory following the floor exercises. Watkins stole the show with a score of 9.850, placing first in the event. Ham tied with Millick for third place with 9.825 points. Sophomore Lane Jarred earned 9.800 points for State, and Harabedian and Ouellette each scored 9.725 points. The Pack scored a total of 48.925 points on the floor, the highest event total for either team in the meet.

On Feb. 2, the gymnastics team will travel to Denver, Colo., where State will compete against Air Force, Denver and San Jose State. The Pack will return to Reynolds Coliseum Feb. 16 for the Sweetheart Invitational. Opponents for that meet will include UNC-Chapel Hill, Bowling Green, George Washington, Pittsburgh and William & Mary.