Hillary Clinton

Democrat Hillary Clinton is running for president of the United States. 

You have to go all the way back to 2000 to find the last time the editorial board of the Technician endorsed a presidential candidate. For the last three presidential elections, past editorial boards have remained silent, seeing no significant differences between the 2004, 2008 and 2012 presidential candidates. However, our current editorial board can no longer remain silent in this election, particularly in the wake of the final debate.

The stakes are too high and the disparity between the two major candidates is too great. Because one candidate has a solid record of pragmatic and impactful policies and the other resorts to fear-mongering while failing to disclose the specifics of the plans he proposes, the editorial staff of the Technician fully endorses Hillary Clinton for president of the United States of America.

While Hillary Clinton has spent the past 40 years of her life as a public servant, studying the problems our country faces today, Donald Trump has no track record of success that proves he is capable of holding control over a business enterprise, much less the most powerful position in the free world. Trump, despite having no experience in foreign policy, claims that he can successfully combat the tumultuous issues of terrorism and the Syrian Civil War, yet he has failed to reveal a concrete plan to do so. Likewise, Trump’s plan to deport 11 million undocumented citizens as well as a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslim immigrants is a dangerous and xenophobic approach that, outside of a lack of specifics and high costs, is not what our country needs. Trump has refused to call prisoners of war “heroes,” insulted a gold star family, praised Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong Un and Saddam Hussein, and refused to release his tax returns. He is condemned by more than 160 Republican leaders and his past experience with the economy, what many feel is Trump’s strong suit, is riddled with a record of bankruptcies and sketchy ventures. To make matters worse, a recently released 2005 video shows Trump bragging about kissing and trying to have sex with women who do not consent. His argument that this lewd and disgusting behavior should be written off as “locker room talk” is unacceptable. Any person who believes that, because they are a star, “they let you do it,” is a terrible human being.

Yet, simply a denouncement of Donald Trump is not a sufficient argument for our support of Hillary Clinton. While a strong case for Hillary Clinton is the fact that she isn’t Donald Trump, a better argument lies in her ability to capably deal with the problems our country faces today.

Hillary Clinton has shown, time and time again, the resolve and ability to combat the challenges that come with the title of president of the United States. Through her nearly lifetime of service, Clinton has worked tirelessly for the less fortunate while, at the same time, showing the resolve to change course when needed. She’s constantly fought for women and children, often as the first or only woman in her field, and famously declared in a 1995 speech that women’s rights are human rights. Clinton was key in establishing the Children’s Health Insurance Program, she fought for long-term health monitoring of 9/11 responders and has shown the ability to reach across the aisle and work with her Republican counterparts. Having already served as first lady, a U.S. senator, and secretary of state, Hillary Clinton is one of the most qualified presidential candidates in our nation’s history. She is currently endorsed by 79 Republican leaders and has a realistic approach to defining the role of the United States in the world: We can’t recede and hide behind a wall, but must instead be actively engaged, helping those less fortunate and pushing for essential global change.

However, our endorsement would be an empty exercise if we failed to address Hillary Clinton’s shortcomings. Clinton, like any past presidential candidate, has flaws. Her close ties to Wall Street, highlighted in large speaking fees and even larger donations, must be scrutinized and kept in check. Further, the email scandal during her tenure as secretary of state is unacceptable, and her stubborn unwillingness to admit wrongdoing is troubling. Yet these mistakes pale in comparison to the flaws held by a man who jokes about groping women and is perhaps the single most unqualified candidate to ever run for president in our nation’s history.

Lastly, our editorial board feels that a popular third-party candidate, Gary Johnson, is adamantly unqualified, woefully inexperienced and the wrong choice for our country. Johnson showcases a disastrous lack of foreign policy knowledge. From failing to recognize Aleppo, a major Syrian city that is central to the violence there, to being unable to name a single current foreign leader he likes, Johnson cannot lead our country when we are so involved in and critical to global affairs. Further, the idea of libertarianism which would see our government playing a drastically minimalist role, has failed to ever work on a national scale. Libertarianism would fail to address the numerous issues we have today and preaches a doctrine of isolationism at a time when our country cannot recede from important issues.

It is our view, then, that the 2016 presidential election poses two differing paths for our country: One leads us to continue our resolve, both domestically and globally, to continue a concerted effort in making the world a better place for all, while the other leads us to a dark, hate-filled place of utter despair. Hillary Clinton is the only choice America can make to stay on the correct path. With an understanding of who the candidates truly are, a knowledge of this election’s importance, and a wish to see our generation inherit a worthy America, the editorial board of the Technician urges the Wolfpack community to vote Hillary Clinton for president of the United States of America.