Stormi Gignac was nestled in the comfort of her room when the Thursday earthquake disrupted her afternoon.

"At first I didn't really know what was going on", Gignac , a junior in fashion and textile management, said. "I was on Facebook, and I felt my whole body shaking. All [of a] sudden I started seeing comments … about earthquakes. I just thought it had to do with the construction going on."

Gignac has lived in student housing for the three years she has attended N.C . State, but Thursday marked her first such experience. The earthquake occurred at 1:50 p.m . north of Richmond, Virginia and had reached over 145 miles, touching of campus. The majority of residents on campus did not feel more than a slight shake and quickly ignored the tremors after they ended.

Philip Dail , director of advising and admissions at the college of textiles had anything but an earthquake in mind at the moment.

"It made me think we were having an explosion in the lab downstairs," Dail said. "I started hearing rumors, so I looked it up on the web, and by George, we had had an earthquake."

Procedures for evacuation of safety in the case of a serious earthquake do exist at N.C . State but the majority of students are oblivious to them.

"We would be safe because there are evacuation procedures in place here, but I do not know if students are aware of them," Dail said.

Being as far inland as Raleigh is, this small gesture of an earthquake has shown that we are not untouchable to nature's most violent forms of harm. Students and citizens of Raleigh should check regularly to prepare for the worst.

General preparedness plans the University provides can be found at N.C . Cooperative Extension website: http:// www.ces.ncsu.edu /disaster/. It can educate students on how to protect valuable records by regularly taking inventory on what you have at the time.

According to the Disaster Information Center, students should identify all electrical, chemical and fire hazards and deal with them accordingly. With forewarning, students can take appropriate precautions before hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes.