• February 9, 2016

Former Wolfpack stars impress scouts at Pro Day - Technician: Football

Former Wolfpack stars impress scouts at Pro Day

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:06 am

N.C. State seniors went into the next stage of an extended job interview for various National Football League organizations yesterday. Wolfpack football players, along with a few participants from other local schools, participated in Pro Day. 

Scouts from NFL teams, including the Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos and New York Jets, came to evaluate State’s prospects.

Graduate student quarterback Mike Glennon, junior safety David Amerson and senior safety Earl Wolff participated in position drills at the event. Both were looking to improve on their draft stock following their performances at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Ind., which was held Feb. 23-26. 

Glennon’s drills were scripted with the help of former N.C. State offensive coordinator Dana Bible. Glennon said he planned the routes thrown to accentuate his skill set. 

“I think the thing we wanted to feature today was driving the ball down the field and me moving around a little bit,” Glennon said. “I think one of my strengths is that I can drive the ball down the field.” 

“A big misconception of me is that I can’t move around in the pocket,” Glennon said. “So that was two things that we wanted to feature, driving the ball down the field and moving around in the pocket.”

Aside from Bible, Glennon also received help from former Pack wide receivers T.J. Graham of the Buffalo Bills, Jay Smith and Super Bowl champion Torry Holt. 

“[Holt is] so experienced, even I can take away some of the points from him because obviously he’s a potential hall of fame player. He did the right things in the NFL,” Glennon said. “He gives me advice here and there, although it might not be quarterback-specific, just how to handle myself at the next level.”

Wolff said he wanted to participate in the workout to help keep other seniors, such as Mario Carter and C.J. Wilson, motivated throughout the workout. Wolff also said he will participate in five individual workouts with several NFL teams in Raleigh. 

Unlike his counterparts in the secondary, Wilson was not invited to the combine, which placed much more emphasis on his Pro Day workout. 

“I felt like it was another opportunity where I can showcase my talent that God’s blessed me with and show them what I’ve got,” Wilson said. “I took full advantage of the opportunity today. I felt like I did the best I could. That’s what’s important to me.”

Wilson also caught the attention of the Jacksonville Jaguars organization. Wolff was interviewed by Jaguars representatives following his workout. 

“They asked me some personal questions,” Wilson said. “They asked me questions about my family and how’s my family doing, things of that nature. The best thing to do is to keep it honest with them, you know. Everything’s fine and leave it at that.”

The seniors on the offensive line, R.J. Mattes, Zach Allen and Camden Wentz also participated in drills under the instruction of a representative from the New England Patriots. 

Prospects are down to their final opportunities to impress an NFL club with individual workouts. The NFL Draft takes place April 25-27 in New York City.