Irvin Dig

Senior defensive specialist and libero Grace Irvin digs the ball against Virginia Tech on October 4 in Reynolds Coliseum. Irvin played in five sets with 14 assists, 31 digs, and one ace in the 3-2 win over Virginia Tech.

The NC State women’s volleyball team lost to Boston College in Reynolds Coliseum Friday night. After five sets and a comeback from down 2-0, the Wolfpack could not win the final set.

The Wolfpack (8-13) came off of a tough 3-0 loss against No. 3 Pitt this past weekend. This game was the first home game since Oct. 13. After a tough loss, the Wolfpack had to focus on the home game.

“We talk about this all the time; it’s really about mentality,” head coach Linda Hampton-Keith said. “First and foremost, were we executing at the service line when we were serving and passing … we can control that faze of the game.” 

After a rough start, the team lost the first set 25-15, with Boston College (17-6) showing accuracy with 17 kills. The Wolfpack also ended the set with a .059 hitting percentage.

The second set started similar to the first, with the Wolfpack being down as much as eight. The Eagles won with a score of 25-19. 

The Wolfpack played this match with a few key injuries. Junior opposite hitter Melissa Evans was out with a minor right leg injury. Freshman outside hitter Daniela McDonald, who has 101 kills on the year, is still out after not playing a game since Oct 4th. Evans is the team’s leader in kills at 289 and was a big spot to replace.

“The reality is that’s a big role to fill…. ”Hampton-Keith said.” I thought we did a really good job with that. I commend [Jessica Kemp] and [Lauryn Terry], who stepped up tonight with lots of kills.” 

The third set stayed pretty even until it was tied 12-12, where the Wolfpack started to pull away, leading 19-12. The Eagles mounted a comeback and brought it to 24-24. After a challenged call by NC State, the call was then reversed, allowing the Wolfpack to score the 26th point, winning the set 26-24.

The fourth set started off with a Wolfpack advantage, leading by as much as 13. The Wolfpack would then go on to win the set 25-12. The fifth set was very close; the biggest lead was only four points. In the final moments, the Eagles would win the final set 15-11.

“We really focused on our passing coming out of the timeout…” Redshirt junior middle blocker Jessica Kemp said. “We really focused on our serving and receiving and reversing the flow and taking our shot when we had it, instead of being timid or managing the match.” 

Kemp was credited with 19 kills, the most of the game for both teams. Senior outside hitter Lauryn Terry was credited with 12. Together, they got most of the kills for the team.

Redshirt Sophomore S/DS Kaylee Frazier was credited with 25 digs, the most of the day. Senior DS/L Grace Irvin also finished with 11 digs, which was key to the 2-0 comeback.

“It was really about mentality, about being aggressive, and going for it, and being proactive in how we were playing the game as opposed to playing back on our heels and being reactive.” Hampton-Keith said. “Once we did that, things all of a sudden started happening for us.” 

The Wolfpack will be back to Reynolds on Sunday to take on Syracuse (5-11). The team will also play Boston College again in Massachusetts on November 30.