Updated World Cup Graphic

Crystal Dunn and Abby Dahlkemper both started for the USWNT in its World Cup semifinal clash with England. Dahlkemper, along with goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher, are the only two players to start all six World Cup games so far for the US. Sam Mewis and Jessica McDonald both started the game on the bench.

The Three Lionesses boast a strong squad, a number of which the Courage will see in August during the International Champions Cup. Lucy Bronze of Olympique Lyonnais along with Keira Walsh, Steph Houghton, Nikita Parris, Jill Scott and Demi Stokes of Manchester City are among those who started for Egland and who will be coming to Cary for the ICC. 

Crystal Dunn, Defender

Dunn faced a difficult challenge against the Three Lionesses with Rachel Daly playing wide for England in the game. Dunn also had to deal with the marauding Lucy Bronze who lined up at right back for England. 

The duo of Daly and Bronze kept Dunn busy for a majority of the game but the midfielder-turned-defender was still able to contribute to the US attack on the left flank. 

The outside backs have been crucial for the US attack all tournament with both Dunn and Kelley O’Hara providing width for the attack given the tendencies of Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath and Christen Press to cut in rather than hug the sideline.

Abby Dahlkemper, Defender

With England lining up in a 4-4-2, Dahlkemper and her centre back partner Becky Sauerbrunn had their work cut out for themselves early with Nikita Parris and Ellen White forming a dangerous strike partnership. 

Dahlkemper was at fault for England’s equalizer with the center back being beat to a cross by White, who put an unstoppable finish off the post to bring things level at one goal a piece.

She made up for the England goal on Alex Morgan’s goal however; the center back’s signature diagonal long ball out of the back started the attack which led to Morgan’s goal.

Sam Mewis, Midfielder

Mewis started the game on the bench as one of the two changes made by head coach Jill Ellis going into the semifinal. The midfielder was subbed on in the 64th minute for the injured Rose Lavelle, who appeared to go down with a hamstring injury. Mewis is likely to regain her starting spot in the final in the place of Lavelle if the injury keeps the Washington Spirit midfielder out of the final.

Shortly after Mewis entered the game, the US switched from their starting 4-3-3 to a 5-2-3 with Mewis and Lindsey Horan maying as the two in midfield. The midfield caused problems for the US later in the game with a number of England’s chances in the last 15 minutes coming through the middle of the park.

The biggest of those chances being England’s would be equalizer that was overturned by VAR and the penalty which was saved by Naeher.