Slabe (New Vball coach)

NC State Athletics announced on Monday that USA Women's Volleyball National Team assistant coach Luka Slabe would be taking over as the new head coach of NC State volleyball.

"We had an incredible pool of candidates from all backgrounds and levels of experience, but Luka's vision for NC State Volleyball and tactical acumen stood out in this process," said Athletics Director Boo Corrigan in a press release. "Luka has an incredible set of experiences both domestically and internationally, and we feel he has the approach and leadership necessary to help us fulfill our incredible potential in volleyball. We are excited to welcome Luka, his wife Tina and two children, Trine and Ozbej to the Wolfpack family."

As an assistant coach with the US Women’s Volleyball National Team, Slabe helped the team to win silver at the 2019 FIVB World Cup and qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. According to the release, Slabe will stick with the US team until after the Tokyo Olympics, after which he will turn his attention fully to the Pack.

"I am honored to be considered for this position," Slabe said in the same press release. "My wife Tina, our two children, and I are excited to continue our journey as a part of the Wolfpack family. I would like to thank Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan, Senior Associate Athletic Director Raymond Harrison and the entire Wolfpack Nation for this opportunity. I would also like to thank USA Volleyball for all the support during this transition and during our pursuit of a gold Olympic medal in Tokyo.”

In addition to his experience with the US team, Slabe has also been a head coach at the international level with the Slovenian Men’s National Team. He also has NCAA experience having both played and been an assistant coach at BYU. During his time as an assistant coach at BYU the team made it to the Final Four three times, two of which resulted in trips to the championship.

Last season, the NC State volleyball team finished with an overall record of 11-19 and a conference record of 6-12.