King Sprints

Senior midfielder Tizarra King sprints towards the goal on Sunday. September 15, 2019. King had a hat trick in the 3-1 win against Furman.

The NC State women’s soccer team traveled to ECU on Wednesday and won its final nonconference game of the season by a score of 5-2.

The Pack (5-3-0) started the game strong, netting three times in the opening 16 minutes and from there it was one-way traffic towards the Pirates (3-4-1) net for a majority of the game.

Senior forward Tziarra King followed up her hat trick from Sunday with an equally impressive performance against the Pirates. The winger earned a single-game career high of seven points, grabbing two goals and three assists. The first goal and all three assists came as part of the team’s four-goal first half.

King’s goal came as the third goal in the opening 16 minutes of the match with senior midfielders Ricci Walkling and Paige Griffiths grabbing the first two in the fifth and seventh minutes respectively.

The Pirates pulled one back in the 28th minute, but the hope provided by the goal was short lived as freshman forward Leyah Hall-Robinson restored the Pack’s three-goal lead just three minutes later. The goal was Hall-Robinson’s first of her NC State career.

The Wolfpack was as dominant on the stat sheet as the 4-1 halftime scoreline suggested, with the visitors outshooting the Pirates 16-2 in the opening 45. The Pack was unlucky to concede the one goal that it did in the first half. Junior goalkeeper Jessica Berlin saved a penalty but the rebound fell to a Pirate who was able to put it home.

The fifth and final goal of the night for the Pack came in the 55th minute as King grabbed her fifth goal in four days. It did not take long for ECU to respond to the second-half strike as the Pirates pulled one back just eight minutes later. 

It was too little too late, however, and the game ended with a scoreline of 5-2 in favor of the Pack. The Wolfpack outshot the Pirates by a total of 20-4 across the 90 with 13 of the shots finding the target.

The Wolfpack will be back in action on Sunday as they travel to Durham to face the Blue Devils in the team’s ACC opener.

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.