NCCvsRFC_DunnLunges_DT_edit.jpg

NC Courage forward Crystal Dunn lunges toward the ball against Reign FC goalkeeper Casey Murphy on Sunday, Oct. 20 at WakeMed Soccer Park. Dunn scored one goal and had five shots on goal as the Courage won 4-1 to advance to the NWSL championship final.

On Friday afternoon, in a rematch of the opening game of the NWSL Challenge Cup, the No. 1 seed North Carolina Courage was knocked out by the No. 8 seed Portland Thorns 1-0.

The Courage outshot the Thorns 21-11 but was unable to capitalize due to an amazing performance from Portland’s backup keeper Britt Eckerstrom who came up big on multiple occasions including a number of stunning saves on Debinha, including this one on a freekick and this one on a breakaway. In total, Eckerstrom made eight saves.

Morgan Weaver, the No. 2 pick in the 2020 NWSL College Draft, broke the deadlock in the 68th minute, cutting in front of rookie right back Addisyn Merrick to latch onto a low cross at the far post and slot it under Katelyn Rowland in the Courage net. The goal was Portland’s second shot on target of the game.

The goal marked the first time the Courage had gone behind in the tournament and was just the second goal it had conceded the entire tournament, with the first coming in the opening game, also against Portland.

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.