Joseph Moves Ball Upfield

Freshman forward Jameese Joseph moving the ball upfield versus Wake Forest during the match on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019 at W. Dennie Spry Soccer Stadium. Joseph finished the game with two shots in a match that saw Wake Forest and NC State tie 1-1.

NC State defeated Boston College 2-0 on Pink Night Saturday at Dail Soccer Field to pick up its first ACC win of the season.

“The Duke game, the Wake game, and tonight, we’ve been really good, we just haven't had that breakthrough goal,” said NC State head coach Tim Santoro. “I wish that second one had come earlier it should’ve, that game should've been put to rest earlier, but the girls have been really consistent over the last 2.5 games and we just need to keep it rolling.”

After dominating the game with many chances, goals from freshman forward Jameese Joseph in the first half and senior midfielder Tziarra King in the second half were all the Wolfpack needed to get the win.

“Man, it feels good,” King said. “These last three games, we’ve been knocking at the door and it feels good to put it together for 90 minutes and get that win, so we’re excited about it.”

NC State’s offense came out firing in the first half, outshooting Boston College 11-1 with three of the shots being on goal.

Joseph was the constant threat on the right wing for NC State, creating chance after chance, but it wasn't until there were 10 minutes left in the first half that NC State was able to break through. Senior defender Krissi Schuster cut inside the box and found freshman forward Jameese Joseph who fired it between the keeper's legs for her second goal of the season. 

NC State thought it had its second goal when sophomore forward Anna Toohey crossed the ball into freshman forward Leyah-Hall Robinson who put it in the back of net, but it was called back for offsides. 

The Wolfpack finally got its second goal of the game after threatening the whole second half when senior midfielder Paige Griffiths made a lead pass to King who put it into the back of the net.

NC State ended up outshooting Boston College 19-5 and holding possession for most of the game. The Wolfpack will hope to use this as a confidence booster for its next matchup in the competitive ACC. 

“I’m going to take the glass half full and say it's great to create the chances,” Santoro said in response to missed chances during the game. “Yes, it does concern me a little bit, but we’ll be fine, as long as we are creating them. If we weren’t creating them, that would be a bigger concern, but it's going to come and we did a lot of good stuff tonight.”

NC State will be back in action Oct. 9 at home against Virginia, with kickoff set for 7:00 p.m.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.