The NC State women’s soccer team took down Duquesne by a score of 3-0 with redshirt sophomore center back Lulu Guttenberger netting twice and freshman forward Jameese Joseph grabbing the first goal of her college career.

The Wolfpack’s 4-3-3 (3-2-0) was too much on the day for the Dukes’ (1-2-2) defense as the home team poured on 23 shots across the match, 11 of which found the target. The result was the polar opposite of the team’s 1-0 loss to Iowa on Friday, which saw the team struggle to get the offense going.

“We had a lot to fix from Friday,” head coach Tim Santoro said. “That was a disappointing performance, so it wasn’t a lot of physical preparation it was mental, doing some video and adjusting some things that just wasn’t good on Friday. That was a blip for us. We have been pretty good so far this season.”

NC State scored in the first four minutes of the match after a wild sequence. Freshman forward Leyah Hall-Robinson found herself one on one with the keeper who saved the striker’s effort. Senior forward Tziarra King then put the rebound on target where it was blocked by a Dukes defender. Joseph got on the end of the final rebound and put it into an open goal to give the Wolfpack an early lead

“It was a deflection on [King],” Joseph said. “She shot the ball and I was just lucky to be there and tap it in. I was really grateful to score my first goal.”

The Wolfpack picked up another goal in the 25th minute of the first half as Guttenberger connected on a low cross from Joseph. The center back looked like a season striker with a perfectly placed finish into the far post.

“I just saw the space opening up and I saw Jameese opening up to and once I was in the 18 you always have a chance,” Guttenberger said. “Luckily, it was a great ball and I just kind of composed in front of the goal and luckily I scored for the team. Important second goal.”

The Pack’s dominance continued throughout the first half with the Dukes failing to record a shot in the first 45. Comparatively, the Wolfpack rifled off 11, six of which found the target.

NC State picked up right where it left off in the second half with Guttenberger scoring less than five minutes into the half. The center back drilled the ball from outside the 18, beating the goalkeeper on the far right side of the goal.

The goal came as part of one of the many corner kick routines the Wolfpack attempted during the game. 

“It was [a good shot],” Guttenberger said. “We practiced that in training a lot, the corner kicks, and that was one of our options and luckily it went in. Another important goal to end the game.”

Guttenberger and Joseph are just two of the many new players who have stepped up for the Wolfpack this season. Of the 11 players who started the game against Duquesne, four are new players this season

NC State will travel north to take on Minnesota Thursday, Sept. 12 with kickoff slated for 8 p.m. 

Editor's Note Sept. 9, 2019: A previous version of this article had two instances of Lulu Guttenberger's name misspelled. It has since been corrected. 

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.

Staff Writer

I'm Ryan Henkel, a staff writer and Canes beat writer, in the NC State class of 2020 with a major in History and a minor in Classical Studies and Creative Writing. I have been a member of Technician since December 2018.