Tziarra King Shoots vs. ECU

Junior midfielder Tziarra King shoots the ball against ECU on Thursday, Aug. 23 at Dail Soccer Field. Despite playing two overtime halves, the Wolfpack tied the Pirates 1-1.

NC State women’s soccer finished the 2018 season with a record of 11-7-4 and advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament before losing to UCLA. Going into the 2019 season, the team has added eight players, four freshmen and four transfers, and could build on its success from last season.

August

The Wolfpack kicks off the season with an exhibition game against the College of Charleston at home on Aug. 17 before heading on a difficult four-game road trip, the first three games of which are all against teams that made the NCAA Tournament in 2018. 

The team kicks off the road trip in Columbia where they will face South Carolina. The Gamecocks finished 2018 with a record of 14-6-1 and made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Wolfpack won the meeting between the two schools in 2018 by a score of 2-1, but this will be the first test of many early in the season for the Pack.

The Wolfpack will then head up the coast from South Carolina to Washington, D.C. to face Georgetown, who was one of the No. 1 seeds in the 2018 tournament and made it to the final four. This season, however, the Hoyas won’t have the lethal striking duo of Caitlin Farrell and Kyra Carusa, who were the team’s two top goal scorers in 2018.

A trip to New Jersey will round out the Wolfpack’s August schedule as the Wolfpack will face Monmouth on Aug. 30. The Hawks lost in the first round of the tournament to Virginia in 2018 but finished the season with an impressive record of 16-4-1. When the Wolfpack and Hawks played in 2018 the Wolfpack won 1-0 in overtime.  

September

The Wolfpack rounds out its early-season road trip back in Washington, D.C. to face George Washington on Sept. 1. The Colonials finished 2018 with a record of 10-8-1 with one of the eight losses coming at the hands of the Wolfpack

The first competitive home game of the season for the Pack is on Sept. 5 against Iowa. The Hawkeyes finished 2018 with a record of 8-7-3, but the team struggled to score last season, with leading scorer Natalie Winters only netting five total goals.

The Pack’s next two games are against Duquesne and Minnesota. Duquesne finished 2018 with a record of 6-9-2. Minnesota made the NCAA Tournament In 2018 but, much like the Wolfpack, fell to UCLA by a score of 5-0. The Golden Gophers finished 2018 with a record of 12-9-2.

The next game for the Wolfpack is against Furman, who finished 2018 with a record of 12-7. Following Furman, the Wolfpack travels to Greenville to face ECU, as part of another four-game road trip. The Pirates and the Wolfpack tied their one meeting in 2018 1-1. The Pirates finished 2018 with a record of 10-6-3.

The second game of the road trip is against Duke, with whom the Wolfpack tied in 2018. The Blue Devils made it to the third round of the NCAA Tournament before losing out to Georgetown and finished with a record of 16-4. 

Following Duke, the Pack travels to Chapel Hill to face arch-rival UNC-Chapel Hill, who finished as runners-up for the national title in 2018. The Tar Heels finished the season with a record of 21-4-2. 

The Wolfpack rounds out the road trip in September at Wake Forest on Sept. 29. The Demon Deacons made it to the third round of the tournament and finished with a record of 9-9-2 in 2018. The Deacs are by no means a weak team, but the game will be a welcome respite from the opponents the Wolfpack will face the week prior.

October

The Wolfpack start October with a three-game homestand against three teams that qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament. 

Boston College, who the Wolfpack start the homestand against, made it to the tournament but lost to Hofstra 4-1 in the first round. When the Wolfpack faced the Eagles last season, the Eagles won 2-0.

The second game of the homestand is against Virginia who made it to the third round of the tournament. The Cavaliers beat the Wolfpack in the last regular season game of 2018 and finished the season with a record of 16-5-1.

The Wolfpack ends the homestand against Virginia Tech. The Hokies made it to the third round of the tournament where they lost to UNC-CH. They finished the season with a record of 11-8-3.

Following the homestand, the Wolfpack travels up to Pennsylvania to play Pitt. The Panthers finished last season with a record of 4-12-1 and were defeated in Raleigh by a score of 6-0

The Wolfpack then return for its final two home games of the regular season against Syracuse and Notre Dame respectively, neither of which qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

The match between the Wolfpack and Orange was a high scoring affair in 2018, with the game ending as a 6-3 win for the Wolfpack. The Orange finished 2018 with a record of 3-15.

The Wolfpack will host Notre Dame for its final home game of the season on Oct. 27. The Fighting Irish finished 2018 with a record of 8-10. The Fighting Irish beat the Wolfpack in 2018 by a score of 2-1.

The last game of the season for the Wolfpack is away at Louisville. The Cardinals made it to the tournament in 2018 but lost in the first round to Tennessee. When the Cardinals and Wolfpack played in 2018, the Cardinals won 2-1 on the Wolfpack’s senior day.

The Wolfpack is in for a testing season in 2019, with 10 of the teams it’s set to face making the NCAA Tournament in 2018. With eight new players joining an already solid squad, the Wolfpack is built to compete against a tough schedule.