Benjamin Shipp

Junior Benjamin Shipp takes a swing and drives the ball down range. Shipp finished Round 2 with a score of -6, the best of the NC State men’s golf team at Lonnie Poole Golf Course on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018.

The NC State men’s golf team finished tied for sixth place out of 15 teams with a score of 19 under par in its last tournament of the fall season at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate. 

The Wolfpack came out hot after round one at Blackthorn Club at the Ridges in Jonesborough, Tennessee, being tied for fourth after 18 holes Saturday. After moving down three spots on Saturday, NC State put together a round of 12 under par in the final round to secure a tie for sixth place.

The highlight of the weekend for NC State was the play of senior Benjamin Shipp. Shipp held the individual lead after 18 holes, after shooting 65. He then shot 71 and 67 in rounds two and three to put him at 13 under par and a tie for second place.

Fellow senior Christian Salzer finished tied for 32nd at two under par, after two rounds of 71 and a final round of 72.

Freshman Max Steinlechner was putting together a great tournament for the Wolfpack after two rounds, shooting 69 and 70. In his final round of the fall, Steinlechner lost control, shooting a 78, which included a triple bogey on the second hole. This left him tied for 43rd with a score of one over par.

Freshman Carter Graf finished right behind Steinlechner tied for 47th, with a score of two over par. Graf moved up 15 positions on the leaderboard Sunday, shooting 70.

To round out the top five for the Wolfpack, graduate Brett Mclamb finished tied for 56th at three over par.

Fellow ACC Atlantic opponent Louisville took home first place with a team score of 34 under par, and Jack Rhea from East Tennessee State won the individual title on his home course with a score of 15 under par.

NC State will not be back in action until Feb. 3-4 when it will start its spring season with a trip to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida to compete in the Sea Best Invitational at TPC Sawgrass, which is home to the Players Championship of the PGA Tour.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.