MSoccer_LoeraJump_SC_web.jpg

Junior midfielder David Loera fights to maintain possession of the ball during the game versus Loyola on Friday, August 30, 2019 in Dail Soccer Park. Loera had one assist against the Greyhounds. NC State beat Loyola 2-1.

The NC State men’s soccer team drew William & Mary 1-1 on Tuesday night with the teams not being able to be separated even after playing 110 minutes of soccer.

The Tribe (0-2-1) put up a good fight, but in the end, the Wolfpack (2-1-1) was the better of the two sides and thoroughly deserving of a win, outshooting the Tribe 20-10.

The Wolfpack and the Tribe traded shots throughout the opening 80 minutes of the match with both sides coming close to scoring a handful of times. The best of those for the Wolfpack came from sophomores midfielder Ivy Brisma and forward Kuda Muskwe.

Muswke and Brisma’s chances both came as part of the first half which saw the Wolfpack outshoot the Tribe seven to six. Muskwe narrowly missed poking home a low cross at the back post and Brisma’s half volley forced a good save out of the Tribe’s Kieran Baskett.

The match heated up in the final 10 minutes with junior midfielder David Loera breaking the deadlock in the 81st minute. The midfielder picked up the ball well outside the 18 before taking on a man and beating him. Loera then let fly from outside the 18. The shot looked like it may have deflected off of a defender given the way it looped over the head of Baskett.

The Tribe equalized just over two minutes later with Cole Smith getting onto the end of a low cross from Ngoh. With Smith’s goal, the two teams were headed to overtime for the fourth time in the past five matchups between the two. The last of which ended with a Christoph Schneuwly golden goal.

Senior forward Tyler Gabarra was nearly the hero on the night as he almost scored the golden goal late in the first half of overtime. The forward got on the end of a low cross and flicked it with a backheel but it was saved by Baskett, who appeared to know very little about the save as it was from point-blank range.

Senior midfielder Gabriel Machado was nearly the hero of overtime with his long-range effort flying off the bottom of the post with just over a minute left in overtime.

In the end, the Wolfpack could not find the back of the net during the overtime period despite a flurry of chances during the period. That was the story of the night for the Pack, an abundance of chances created, but limited success in finishing them.

The result was not ideal there were a number of bright spots for the Wolfpack, such as the performance of freshman Kendall Edwards who played a majority of the game.

While the Wolfpack’s attack struggled to finish on the night, the defense continued to impress. With freshman defender Pablo Pedregosa serving his suspension for a red card against Longwood, Edwards slid into the backline seamlessly and impressed both defensively and on the ball. 

Junior defender Jamie Smith also continued to shine on the night with the outside center back impressing both with his defensive ability and his ability going forward. The defender’s diagonal balls out of the back were crucial to the team’s build-up play and his ability on set pieces, both taking them and getting on the end of them, was once again asserted in this match.

The Wolfpack will be back in action on Saturday, Sept, 14 as it hosts Boston College in its opening game of ACC play.

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.