Devonte Brown Hits

Sophomore outfielder Devonte Brown hits the ball against Campbell on Friday, May 31, 2019 at Clark-LeClair Stadium in Greenville. Brown went 0-2 with one strikeout as the Wolfpack lost 5-4.

NC State baseball junior infielder Devonte Brown led the Sunbelt Baseball League with eight home runs this summer for the Sunbelt League Champions, the Brookhaven Bucks.

Brown’s eight homers beat out Kennesaw State Justin Russell’s seven bombs. One of his league-leading home runs was all over Twitter because it was a grand slam and because of the intense stare-down he gave the ball after sending it flying over the wall. A baseball account, @BaseballBros, tweeted it as well, and it collected over 67,000 views.

The Sunbelt is a six-team league in Georgia. Brown is the only NC State player participating, and he is representing his team well. Brown hit .281 with five doubles, one triple, six HPBs and 22 RBIs while leading the league in home runs (8), walks (19) and runs (34).

It’s likely that Brown takes an even bigger role for Pack baseball next season. In 2019, he started 13 games in 32 appearances batting .286 with two extra-base hits, five RBIs, eight walks and one stolen base. 

With Will Wilson leaving for the MLB after his junior year, it's possible the infield shake-up will open a spot for Brown to start or be a key piece of the team, even more than he already was. This past season, his athleticism earned reps in the outfield while head coach Elliott Avent tried to find the last corner outfield position. 

Another summer ball update for NC State comes in the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, where David Harrison helped punch the ticket to the championship for the Amsterdam Mohawks when he shut down the Albany Dutchmen.

Also, according to @NCStateBaseball on Twitter, Marek Chlup and Vojtech Mensik have both homered for Milujeme Baseball in the Czech Republic. Mensik’s was a grand slam, and Chlup’s came in the U23 European Championships.