Sydney Nester Pitches vs. Wisconsin

Freshman pitcher Sydney Nester winds up to pitch against Wisconsin on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019 at Dail Softball Stadium. Nester pitched three innings, striking out two and giving up four hits, five walks and one earned run. The Wolfpack lost 6-3.

The NC State softball team took the field on Friday night in its first home matchup for the fall season against Louisburg College. After ending the 2019 season 31-27 and ending its ACC tournament run in the semifinals last spring, the team was expecting to begin this fall on a high note.  

On the offensive side of the ball, the Pack shined all night. Specifically, junior infielder Logan Morris had a very strong game, recording three singles and a two-run home run. Other offensive highlights include a pair of solo home runs for sophomore infielder April Visser and freshman pitcher/infielder Sam Gress in the fifth inning, and an RBI single from redshirt junior Randi Farricker in the bottom of the ninth to bring in the 17th run. 

Despite the number of runs scored, the Pack’s offense didn’t truly get started until the bottom of the third inning. Throughout the first and second innings, the Pack left four runners on base including the leadoff runner in scoring position. This will be something the Wolfpack will look to improve in future fall matchups.  

Defensively, the Pack was able to stay consistent throughout the night. With sophomore Sydney Nester starting on the mound for the Pack and pitching until the top of the fifth, the defensive strength lied within the depth of the bullpen. Throughout the game, the Pack sat down over 15 Louisburg players, with 10 of those belonging to Nester. 

Senior Devin Wallace threw three innings for the Pack and started off her fall season debut by striking out two Louisburg players and maintaining the momentum the offense had previously acquired. The Pack closed out the game with Gress, who sealed the deal for an NC State win. 

Continuing its fall schedule, NC State takes on Longwood at Dail Softball Stadium Sunday afternoon. The first pitch is set for 1:00 pm.