Muskwe scores a goal

Sophomore forward Kuda Muskwe scores a goal against Notre Dame on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 at Dail Soccer Stadium. NC State beat Notre Dame 2-0.

For the first time in the program’s history, the NC State men’s soccer team will compete in the Spring Soccer Cup, a ten-team spring league, culminating in a set of playoff matches between the two divisions on April 19 at Spry Stadium in Winston-Salem. 

The Wolfpack will compete in the South Division alongside Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson and UNC-Chapel Hill. The North Division consists of Georgetown, Maryland, James Madison, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Teams will play against each divisional opponent once to set the seeding for the playoff games and on April 19, the coinciding seed from each division will play.

The Pack’s schedule for the round-robin style division games is as follows:

Feb. 29 vs. Clemson

March 21 at North Carolina

March 28 at Wake Forest

April 3 vs. Duke

The Pack faced each of the other teams in the South Division during the 2019 fall season, however, the match against UNC was in the preseason. The Wolfpack compiled a 2-2-1 record against these teams with wins over UNC and Duke, losses against Clemson and Wake Forest, and a regular-season draw against Duke.

"We are looking forward to this new format for us," said NC State head coach George Kiefer in a press release. "It will include three of the four teams that advanced to the College Cup this past season, and we look forward to participating against some very good competition here in the spring."

The Wolfpack’s roster includes no new faces, but the Pack will be without the senior midfielder from the 2019 fall season David Loera, who signed a homegrown contract with Orlando City SC in December.

The Pack’s opening game of the spring season against Clemson will kick off at 5 p.m. on Feb. 29.

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.