Salzer Drive Mens Golf

Junior Christian Salzer watches the ball as it soars down range. Salzer finished round 2 with a score of -3 at Lonnie Poole Golf Course on Oct. 6th 2018.

In its second tournament of the fall season, the NC State men's golf team finished seventh out of 15 teams at the Maui Jim Intercollegiate at Mirabel Golf Club in Carefree, A.Z. with a score of 12-under par. The Wolfpack moved up four positions on the last day of competition to end on a high note.

As he did last weekend, senior Christian Salzer led the way in scoring for NC State. He finished with a score of three-under par, good enough to finish tied for 24th on the individual leaderboard.

Freshman Spencer Oxendine was next in line for the Wolfpack with a score of one-under par, finishing tied for 33rd. The Fayetteville native shot his best round as a college golfer on Sunday, which was a round of 68.

Fellow freshman Max Steinlechner also shot his best round at NC State Sunday, with a score of 66. Steinlechner’s overall score was two-over par, which saw him finish tied for 49th.

Oxendine and Steinlechner both moved up 17 spots each on the leaderboard with their terrific play Sunday.

To round things out for NC State, junior Easton Paxton finished the tournament with a score of three-over par. Paxton shot his best round of the weekend Saturday with a score of 66.

Junior Benjamin Shipp was leading the way for NC State with a round of 69 on Friday and a round of 67 on Saturday, and tied for 20th at the time. However, Shipp did not participate in the final round for NC State.

Arizona State took home first place with a combined team score of 38-under par, while Cameron Sisk of Arizona State finished first place on the individual leaderboard with a score of 14-under par.

NC State will be back in action Oct. 5-6, when it will be hosting the annual Wolfpack Intercollegiate at Lonnie Poole Golf Course.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.