Liz Norman Returns Backhand

Sophomore Liz Norman returns a volley against Duke senior Kaitlyn McCarthy on Friday, May 10, 2019 at Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham. Norman lost to McCarthy 6-3, 6-3 during the Wolfpack’s 4-0 overall loss to the Blue Devils.

The No. 8 NC State women’s tennis team is preparing for two top-20 matchups this weekend. The team will travel to Atlanta to take on No. 7 Texas Friday before coming home for its match against No. 19 Kansas on Sunday. 

The Pack is coming off a weekend in which it clinched its second consecutive ITA National Indoor Championship appearance, and second in program history, after sweeping No. 21 Florida 4-0. The indoor championships will take place Feb. 7-10 in Chicago.

NC State’s victory over Florida may have looked like a blowout but it required the team to tough out some close doubles matches. No. 1-ranked duo of senior Anna Rogers and sophomore Alana Smith finished up its doubles match with a 6-3 victory. However, juniors Liz Norman and Lexi Keberle lost a tight match 6-4.

The pressure was on No. 22-ranked pair of senior Adriana Reami and junior Jaeda Daniel for securing the team point. Reami and Daniels came up big for their team, winning a tiebreaker for the set, putting the Pack up 1-0. The team went on to sweep the first three singles matches in straight sets to clinch the win.

This will be the Wolfpack’s first match with Texas in recent history. However, Texas is poised to give NC State a good match as it’s coming off back-to-back sweeps against Iowa and LSU to start its season. Texas also punched its ticket to the indoor championships in February with its win over LSU.

The Wolfpack does, however, have some recent history against Kansas. Its two most recent matches came down to the last match of the day and ended in a 3-4 loss for the Pack.

NC State will face Texas in Atlanta on Friday, Jan. 31 at 10 a.m. before coming back to Raleigh on Sunday, Feb. 2 at 11 a.m. to face Kansas.