WvsVT_THidlayLooksUP_SK.jpg

Redshirt freshman Trent Hidlay stares up at his opponent. Hidlay was defeated 3-1 by Hunter Bolen. #3 NC State defeated #7 Virginia Tech 21-18 on Friday, Feb. 14, 2020 at Reynolds Coliseum.

The undefeated No. 3 NC State wrestling team (14-0, 4-0 ACC) will be dueling against the not-so-undefeated Duke Blue Devils (0-16, 0-4 ACC) for the final dual match of the regular season. A win against Duke will mean that the Wolfpack will finish the season undefeated.

For the Pack, it is coming off of three top-10 wins in a row, against Pitt, North Carolina and Virginia Tech. The past two were very crucial, as the scores came down to the final matches. With the loud NC State crowd at Reynolds Coliseum, the wrestling team got the final push.

This time against Duke, it will be in Durham. Duke has not won a single dual this season, highlighting its unsuccessfulness over recent years. The Blue Devils will be looking to go all or nothing to not conclude the year without a win.

Nevertheless, the Pack will go to Durham ready to end the season. With such an impressive victory in the final moments against No. 7 Virginia Tech, the Wolfpack will be energized to close out the season.

Duke had two wrestlers pin their Virginian opponents last week in the 165- and 174-pound weight classes. These two will be facing redshirt juniors Thomas and Daniel Bullard, who are both ranked in the top 15 in their respective weight classes.

Duke also forfeited the 125 and 141 weight classes, both which consist of freshman or redshirt freshman. In fact, Duke has a total of nine true freshman on its 16-man roster.

NC State needs to collect this win to stay on top of the standings ahead of North Carolina (13-2, 3-1 ACC), which plays Virginia to try and keep towards the top of the standings and have a chance to advance to the ACC Championship in Pittsburgh.

The match at Duke will begin at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast live on the ACC Network.