Trea Turner Throw

Junior shortstop Trea Turner throws the ball during the 3-0 victory over Michigan on Friday, Feb. 28, 2014 at Doak Field. Turner was an infielder for the Pack from 2012 to 2014 and currently plays shortstop for the Washington Nationals.

Former NC State shortstop Trea Turner and the Washington Nationals defeated the Houston Astros 6-2 in game seven to win the World Series, four games to three, on Oct. 30.

Turner became the fifth player in NC State history to win the World Series, and the first one since Tracy Woodson in 1988, who won it with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Turner batted leadoff and played shortstop in every game of the 2019 postseason for the Nationals.

The Nationals were down 2-0 in the seventh, before rallying to take the lead with a solo home run from Anthony Rendon and a two-run home run from Howie Kendrick. Washington would add another run in the eighth inning on a Juan Soto single, then two more in the ninth inning, sealing the deal on an Eaton single to make the score 6-2.

Coming into the postseason, as a wild card team, not many people expected the Nationals to get this hot. That is exactly what they did though, knocking out the Milwaukee Brewers, the Dodgers, St. Louis Cardinals and the Astros, in order. 

In the World Series, Turner and his teammates had to go through one of the best starting pitching staffs in baseball with the Astros trotting out Gerrit Cole and former Cy Young award winners Justin Verlander and Zack Greinke.

This was the first time in World Series history that no team won a home game the entire series. The Nationals won the first two games in Houston, then Houston came back winning games three, four and five in Washington. This did not affect the Nationals as they traveled back to Houston and won games six and seven convincingly to seal the deal.

During game seven, Turner was 0 for 4 with a walk in his last at bat. During the series, he batted .161 (5 for 31). He also scored five runs throughout the series. Turner did steal a base in game one, securing free tacos from Taco Bell for everyone on Oct. 30.

For the postseason in total, Turner batted .233 (27 for 116) with one home run and four RBIs. Turner’s biggest moment this postseason was his home run in the wild card game against the Brewers.

In the field, Turner was a magician per usual, making only one error throughout the postseason on 48 chances at the shortstop position.

Turner after every series win this postseason was seen celebrating in the locker room with an NC State football helmet. This did not change last night as he was wearing a white helmet with the Tuffy logo. 

With this being such a rare feat for an NC State baseball alum, winning a World Series is a great accomplishment for Trea and his teammates.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.