M Tennis Babelis Returns

Sophomore Tadas Babelis, playing second seed in singles against South Carolina, returns the ball at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center on Saturday, Feb. 9. The men's tennis team lost their match against the Gamecocks 6-1, returning later in the day to beat the North Carolina A&T Aggies 7-0.

The NC State men’s tennis team was the co-hosting team alongside Duke in the ITA Carolina Regional Oct. 18-22 in Cary, NC. The Wolfpack sent out eight singles competitors and four doubles teams in a tournament that seeded 128 players in the singles bracket and 64 teams in the doubles bracket.

Junior Tadas Babelis led the way for NC State, winning five matches before being defeated in the semifinals by Rrezart Crungu from Wake Forest 5-7, 7-5, 6-2.

Along his way to the semifinals, Babelis defeated players from Gardner-Webb, Davidson, South Carolina and two players from Duke.

Sophomore Yannai Barkai and sophomore Rafa Izquierdo Luque both made it to the round of 16 by winning three matches for the Wolfpack. Junior Robert Turzak and freshman Robin Catry also played their way into the third round of the tournament before being defeated.

Freshman Martins Rocens, redshirt sophomore Joseph Schrader and junior Collin Shick were the only NC State singles competitors to not win a match in the tournament, as each of them were defeated in the first round.

The team of Babelis and Barkai led the way in doubles for NC State, winning two eight-game pro set matches before being defeated in the third round.

The teams of Turzak and Catry, Rocens and Schrader, and Izquierdo Luque and Shick, all won their respective first-round matchup before losing in the second round. 

NC State will be back in action at home when the team hosts a UTR tournament on Nov. 2-3.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.