Anna Rogers

Junior Anna Rogers celebrates winning a point against Duke on Friday, May 10, 2019 at Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham. Rogers’ match against Duke freshman Maria Mateas was halted at 7-6 (2), 0-1 during the Wolfpack’s 4-0 loss.

Despite both NC State tennis teams being knocked out of the team NCAA Championships, they were well represented in the NCAA Individual Championships in Orlando, Florida.

After a historic season for the women’s tennis team, junior Anna Rogers represented NC State in the singles and was joined by freshman Alana Smith for the doubles bracket.

No. 10 Rogers made it through to the second round after beating No. 59 Emma Antonaki of Mississippi State 6-3, 6-2 in the first round but in the round of 32, Rogers fell to Kelly Chen of Duke, who defeated the Pack junior 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.

In the NCAA Doubles Championship, Rogers and Smith won two matches, making a deep run to the Elite Eight before falling in straight sets 7-5, 6-4 to South Carolina's No. 3 Ingrid Martins and Mia Horvit. Before that, the pair won both of the first two matches in straight sets.

The Rogers-Smith pairing was a historic one for NC State women’s tennis. The two went 35-6 this season with a 6-2 record against opponents in the top 25 and tied the program’s highest ever rank at No. 7.

On the men’s side, junior Alexis Galarneau was the only member of the team to make the trip to Orlando, Florida. The NC State captain got a tough draw, matching up against the country’s top seed, Nuno Borges of Mississippi State.

Borges, who went on to win the semifinals, took care of Galarneau 6-4, 6-2 in the first round and won in straight sets over every opponent he faced until his final match against the champion.

Galarneau finished the 2019 season with a 16-10 singles record and beat seven nationally-ranked opponents. According to NC State Athletics, no other Pack tennis player has seen back-to-back selections to the NCAA Singles Championship since at least 2000, possibly ever.

In the team rankings, the women’s squad (24-7, 11-3 ACC) concluded the year ranked at No. 11 in the final Oracle/ITA Division I Rankings of 2019 after being knocked out by Duke in the NCAA Championships Sweet 16.

The men’s team also earned a top-25 finish, its first since 2007, finishing at No. 23 after a 19-11 season overall and an 8-4 ACC record. The Wolfpack lost its NCAA regional in the second round to Tennessee, but most notably, the team reached the ACC semifinal before falling to top-seeded Wake Forest.