Women's Golf Graphic

Junior Monika Hartl had a career-best finish of second place at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic at Rio Mar Country Club in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. The Germany native, after shooting an opening round of 73, put together rounds of 68 and 67 to finish at 8 under par and one shot behind Northwestern’s Irene Kim. 

As a team, NC State finished in ninth place out of 15 teams with a team score of 20 over par, which was a major improvement from its 13th-place finish in Orlando earlier this month. Northwestern took home the team championship with a score of even par. 

Some of the schools the Wolfpack finished ahead of were East Carolina, Iowa State and Indiana.

Senior Mim Sangkapong and freshman Inja Fric were next on the leaderboard for the Wolfpack, with both finishing at 8 over par and tied for 37th place. Sangkapong’s best round of the tournament came on the second day, shooting an even par 72, while Fric’s best round came in round one, shooting 73.

Sophomore Lea Klimentova finished tied for 56th with a score of 14 over par, shooting 77 twice and 76 in her three rounds. 

Rounding out the NC State golfers were freshmen Natalie Armbruester and Pilar Berchot, who finished tied for 68th at 19 over par and tied for 80th at 29 over par, respectively. After shooting 80 in her first two rounds, Armbruester put in a final round of 75 to end her weekend on a high note. Berchot’s best round of the weekend was 76 in round two.

The Wolfpack will have a short turnaround, as it will be back in action for the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate Feb. 16-18 at English Turn Country Club in New Orleans.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.