Rifle vs North Georgia

Junior shooter Caitlyn Ford looks through her sights in the Wolfpack's rifle meet against North Georgia on Jan 29. Ford tied with graduate student and teammate Lauren Phillips for the top individual score of the smallbore competition with a 578 clip in the 4657-4547 win at Reynolds Coliseum.

The No. 13 NC State rifle team traveled to West Point, New York this past weekend and lost a pair of top-15 matchups. The Wolfpack (3-5) was defeated by No. 3 Kentucky 4715-4638 and No. 12 Army 4670-4629.

The best shooter for NC State in both matches was sophomore Emily Fisher. The Virginia native took home 10th place with an aggregate score of 1162 against the Wildcats and took home an eighth-place finish with an aggregate score of 1163 against the Black Knights.

Another high finisher for NC State was senior Claire Zanti, who finished in 10th place against Army with an 1160 aggregate score.

The two ranked matchups were the team’s seventh and eighth such matchups of the season. While the Wolfpack has started its 2019-20 campaign with eight consecutive ranked opponents, its next three before the NCAA qualifiers are all against unranked opponents.

NC State will look to avoid its fourth straight loss on Jan. 25 when it travels to No. 6 Ole Miss.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.