Shannon Patterson Sprints

Senior Shannon Patterson sprints during the final leg of the 400 meter dash during the Raleigh Relays on Friday March 29, 2019 at the Paul Derr Track & Field Facility. Patterson placed fifth in the event with a time of 47.40.

The NC State women’s track team placed sixth and the men’s team placed 13th at the ACC Outdoor Championships at Lannigan Field on the campus of the University of Virginia.

A handful of top-10 finishes propelled the women’s team to a strong showing while a lack of top finishers for the men’s team doomed it to a bottom-three finish.

Senior Lauren Evans was the Wolfpack’s lone gold medalist, pacing everyone with a 16.96-meter throw in the shot put to take home the medal. Freshman Timara Chapman medaled in the heptathlon, finishing in third place with a score of 5,412 to take home the bronze medal.

Senior Gabriele Cunningham had a good all-around showing, placing sixth in the 100-meter (11.43), fifth in the 200-meter (23.83), third in the 100-meter hurdles (13.13), and anchoring the 4x100-meter relay team of senior Janel Pate, freshman McKenzie Long, sophomore Kylia Wright and herself to a fifth-place finish (45.10).

Pate also placed in the top five in the long jump, finishing third with a distance of 6.34 meters. Freshman Julia Zachgo turned in a good showing in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, finishing in seventh place with a time of 10:36.92. Sophomore Michelle Cobb just missed out on a bronze medal finish in the triple jump, placing fourth with a distance of 12.99 meters.

The Wolfpack women finished 11 points behind Clemson and narrowly edged out Notre Dame for sixth place, beating out the Fighting Irish by just one point, 56-55. Florida State ran away with the championship with its score of 134, over 40 points higher than the runner-up, Miami (92.5)

On the men’s side, senior Shannon Patterson narrowly missed out on a bronze medal in the 200-meter, finishing with a time of 20.96, just a hundredth of a second behind the third-place finisher.

The Wolfpack men had two top-ten finishers in the large 5,000-meter field, with freshman Ian Shanklin (14:03.95) and junior JP Flavin (14:08.34) placing fifth and seventh, respectively, in the field of 46.

Sophomore Ja’Von Douglas tied for fifth in the long jump, reaching a distance of 7.50 meters. In the triple jump, freshman Jamar Davis notched a 15.51-meter jump, just a hundredth of a meter behind the fifth-place finisher.

The Wolfpack men turned in a disappointing showing, finishing with a lowly score of 27, almost 100 points behind the winner, Virginia Tech (123).

The Wolfpack will be back in action at the NCAA Regionals from May 23-25 in Jacksonville, Florida.