Griffin Attempts Interception vs. UNC

Redshirt junior nickelback Stephen Griffin attempts an interception, but is unable to complete the catch. The Wolfpack was tested by the Tar Heels, but came away with a 34-28 overtime win on Saturday, Nov. 24 in Kenan Memorial Stadium.

The final week of Wolfpack Wager will take us to three different in-state rivalry games, including UNC-Chapel Hill vs NC State, as well as the two biggest in-state games in Virginia and Oklahoma.

UNC (-8) at NC State

The Wolfpack lost any hope of bowl eligibility after last week's loss against Georgia Tech, but that does not mean it will have nothing to play for Saturday at Carter-Finley. NC State will look to play spoiler on UNC-Chapel Hill head coach Mack Brown’s first season, by winning and preventing the Tar Heels from becoming bowl eligible. 

This game will come down to whether or not NC State’s secondary will be able to stop Tar Heel quarterback Sam Howell from making explosive plays, a problem that has hurt the Wolfpack in recent games. 

NC State has won three straight in the series, but this year has an entirely different feel to it with Mack Brown’s new energy in the Carolina program. The Wolfpack crowd at Carter-Finley Stadium will be present and make a difference in this game to keep it close, just like seven of the eight ACC games the Tar Heels have played this year.

The Pick: NC State (+8)

No. 7 Oklahoma (-13.5) at No. 21 Oklahoma State

If you want to enjoy a thrilling game on Saturday night, I advise you to watch this matchup. Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy is about as old school as it gets, and this game turns out to be spectacular every year, with last year's game being a 48-47 shootout in favor of Oklahoma.

With this game being at Oklahoma State, it will give the Cowboys a good chance to pull off the upset on primetime television on Saturday night. The Oklahoma State offense that is scoring 35 points a game will have the chance to run riot on a suspect Sooners defense.

Oklahoma is holding on to slim chances at making the College Football Playoff, with each of its last three games being won by four points or less. Despite being 10-1 on the season, the Sooners are an abysmal 4-7 against the spread, which makes this pick a no brainer.

The Pick: Oklahoma State (+13.5)

No. 23 Virginia Tech (-3) at Virginia 

The annual matchup that the Hokies have dominated recently with 15 straight wins in the series will write a new chapter on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia with some big implications. With both teams coming in with identical records at 8-3 overall and 5-2 in the ACC this game will determine who wins the ACC Coastal and earns the right to play Clemson for an ACC Championship next week.

Virginia Tech has improved as the season has progressed, winning its last three games and jumping into the national polls. The Hokies defense has stepped up its game in the last two games, not allowing a single point against Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh. Virginia will rely on quarterback Bryce Perkins to try and make enough special plays to prove that the media was right in picking them to win the Coastal division in the preseason. 

Virginia will beat the Hokies again some time soon with the program head coach Bronco Mendenhall is building, it just will not be this year, as Virginia Tech is one of the hottest teams in the country.

The Pick: Virginia Tech (-3)

Disclaimer: Gambling is a form of entertainment and can become addictive. If you think you have developed a problem, call the National Problem Gambling Helpline Network at 1-800-522-4700.

Staff Writer

I’m Will Thornhill, a staff writer for the Technician’s sports department since March of 2019. I am in the class of 2022 at NC State, with a double-major in Sport Management and Communication Media.