Wes Moore

Head coach Wes Moore talks to his team during the second round NCAA Tournament game against Kentucky on Monday, March 25, 2019 at Reynolds Coliseum. The Wolfpack won 72-57 to advance to the Sweet Sixteen of the tournament for the second season in a row.

NC State Athletics announced on Thursday that women’s basketball head coach Wes Moore was given a new six-year contract that would keep him with the Wolfpack until 2025. The contract also raises Moore’s compensation to $750,000 annually according to NC State Athletics.

“I’m grateful to NC State for this commitment and belief in what we’re building,” Moore told NC State Athletics. “We’ve made so many significant strides. We have a first-class facility to play in, a wonderful University and city to call home and I’m excited for the future of NC State women’s basketball.”

Moore took over as the head coach of women’s basketball in 2013 with a record of 140-58 since taking over. Over his six seasons at the helm, Moore has guided the women’s basketball team to four NCAA Tournaments including back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances in 2017-18 and 2018-19. The latter was not only Moore’s best season in Raleigh but the best season in the history of the program.

During the 2018-19 season, the Wolfpack was the longest-standing undefeated team in college basketball, men’s or women’s, making it to 21 wins before falling at home to archrival UNC-Chapel Hill. The team finished the season with 28 wins, the most in program history.

"Wes continues to elevate our women's basketball program and this new contract reflects our commitment to what he is building," NC State Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan told NC State Athletics. "I look forward to Wes leading NC State women's basketball for many years to come."

With four key players missing large portions of the 2018-19 season due to severe injuries, Moore’s coaching ability was put to the test and the coach made a great season with limited depth.

Over his 30-year coaching career, Moore has overseen just a single losing season which came in 1998-99, his first year as the head coach of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, where he coached fr 15 seasons, guiding the Mocs to the NCAA Tournament on nine occasions.