Konig Dribbles vs. Muhammad

Senior guard Aislinn Konig dribbles near UNC-Chapel Hill guard Madinah Muhammad on Thursday, Jan. 9 at Carmichael Arena. Konig scored a game-high 24 points as the Wolfpack suffered their first loss of the season 66-60.

CHAPEL HILL — The No. 9 NC State women’s basketball team lost its first game of the season Thursday night, falling on the road to North Carolina. For the second season in a row, the Wolfpack’s unbeaten streak ended at the hands of the Tar Heels. Here are some key numbers from the game.

62 - 3-point shooting percentage for the Wolfpack in the first half. An excitingly fast pace to the start of the game worked out in the Pack’s favor, as it sunk 8 of 13 deep balls. Senior guard Aislinn Konig led the way with three, and freshman guard Jakia Brown-Turner and junior forward Kayla Jones each hit two.

14 - Second-half shooting percentage for NC State. The Wolfpack went ice cold in the final 20 minutes, missing from all over the floor and allowing the Tar Heels back into the game after previously opening up a double-digit lead.

11 - Points scored by everyone other than Konig in the entire second half. Outside of Konig, the Wolfpack hit just 4 of 24 shots and only one 3-pointer in the last two quarters. Sophomore center Elissa Cunane was the only other NC State player to hit multiple shots.

3 - Total combined minutes played by both teams’ benches in the second half. With the Wolfpack and Tar Heels locked in a back-and-forth affair, both coaches opted to stick with their starters for almost the entire half. NC State coach Wes Moore gave his bench the three minutes while the Tar Heels kept their starters in for all 20 minutes.

4 - Free throws attempted by NC State. The Wolfpack struggled all night long to get to the charity stripe, with Konig and Cunane each shooting and making two apiece. NC State struggled to draw contact around the rim and wasn’t able to bait North Carolina into any easy fouls.

5 - Turnovers by Cunane during a game she struggled mightily in. Matched up against North Carolina’s star center Janelle Bailey, Cunane was never able to get into a rhythm against the bigger-bodied senior Bailey. Cunane shot just 3 for 11 from the field and turned the ball over five times.

11 - Offensive rebounds NC State allowed. With Cunane getting pushed around down low, the Wolfpack failed to rebound the way it has all season. North Carolina was able to haul in 11 offensive boards and turned those into nine second-chance points as the Tar Heels dominated the Pack in the paint.

Sports Editor

I'm Camden Speight, the sports editor at Technician. I'm in the NC State Class of 2021 majoring in Business Administration and minoring in Economics. I have been at Technician since January of 2018.