Alana Smith Returns

Freshman Alana Smith returns a volley against Duke on Friday, May 10, 2019 at Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham. Smith lost to Chi 6-2, 6-2 during the Wolfpack’s 4-0 overall loss to the Blue Devils.

The No. 8 NC State women's tennis team competed in the ITA Women’s Team Indoor championship for the second consecutive year this past weekend. While it didn’t emerge as champion, the team had a successful weekend that included its highest ranked win in program history and its second top-10 victory of the season.

In the first match of the tournament, the Pack was up against the Princeton Tigers. The Wolfpack took care of the Tigers with relative ease, as it swept them 4-0. After splitting the first two doubles matches, the Wolfpack clinched the doubles team point with a victory from junior Jaeda Daniel and senior Adriana Reami with their 7-5 win. 

Daniel, Reami and sophomore Alana Smith were the only players that got to finish their singles match, as all three won in straight sets and clinched the win for NC State. This continued what has already been a stellar season for Reami and Smith. They have dominated singles play all season, as Reami and Smith lead the team with eight wins against ranked opponents.

After its victory over Princeton, the Wolfpack moved on in the tournament to face second-ranked North Carolina. NC State has not fared well against the Tar Heels in recent years, as the Pack’s last victory over them came in 1999. The losing streak continued Saturday, as the Wolfpack lost to the eventual champion Tar Heels 4-1.

The Wolfpack dropped its first doubles point of the season in its match against the Tar Heels. Reami and Daniel were leading 4-3 when North Carolina secured the doubles point. However, the Wolfpack’s other two doubles teams only won one game in the other two doubles matches.

The Wolfpack matched up better against the Tar Heels in singles play but still couldn’t come up with the four wins needed to advance in the tournament. Pack junior Liz Norman won the first singles match of the day (6-4, 6-0) to tie the overall score at one. North Carolina came back to win the next three singles and clinch the match 4-1. While it may have not been the result the Wolfpack was looking for, it did manage to get one of only two points taken against the Tar Heels during the tournament, as they outscored opponents 16-2 in their four matches. 

The loss dropped the Wolfpack into the consolation bracket to take on third-ranked and reigning champion Georgia Bulldogs for its final match of the weekend. In doubles play, the Pack split a pair of 6-2 matches, one in its favor and one for the Bulldogs. The doubles point would once again come down to Daniel and Reami, who won 6-4 and secured them the doubles point.

After Norman lost her singles match (0-6, 2-6) and the Bulldogs tied it up at one, the Wolfpack closed out the match with three straight wins. Junior Lexi Keberle, Reami and Smith all won their matches in straight sets to secure the Wolfpack’s win over Georgia. The win was clearly big for NC State, as it stormed the court and mobbed Smith when she clinched her match and the team win.

After a strong end to the weekend, the Wolfpack now has until Saturday to rest up before traveling to Texas to take Texas Tech and Abilene Christian for a doubleheader.