Chmiel Runs

Freshman Kelsey Chmiel finishes strong at the Adidas XC Challenge on Sept. 20th, 2019. Chmiel finished second, with a time of 16:57.0. In the women's 5k race, State took first overall.

The NC State men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the ACC Championships in Blacksburg, Virginia on Friday morning.

The men’s 8k started at 10 a.m. and the women’s 6k started at 11 a.m. The men’s finished eighth overall with two runners finishing inside the top 10 as junior Ian Shanklin finished third overall with a time of 24:22.7 and redshirt junior Gavin Gaynor finished sixth overall with a time of 24:36.4.

Rounding out the Wolfpack men’s top five finishers were redshirt freshman Nate Kawalec (40th), redshirt senior Tanis Baldwin (60th) and sophomore Hannes Burger (61st). 

On the women’s side, the Pack took home its fourth consecutive ACC title as two runners finished within the top 10 including individual ACC Champion senior Elly Henes who finished the race in first with a time of 20:37.4. Henes is the first NC State runner to take home the individual title on the women’s side since 2010.

Also finishing in the top 10 for the women was freshman Kelsey Chmiel who finished just over 15 seconds behind Henes with a time of 20:53. Rounding out the top five for the Wolfpack women was junior Julia Zachgo (12th), sophomore Savannah Shaw (21st) and redshirt sophomore Nevada Mareno (26th).

The Wolfpack’s next meet with be the Southeast Regional Championship in Charlottesville, Virginia on Nov. 15.

Assistant Sports Editor

I'm Nicholas Schnittker, one of the two assistant sports editors for Technician. I'm in the class of 2022 and am currently majoring in communication and minoring in journalism. I have been at Technician since August 2018 and an editor since May 2019.