NC State Club Baseball Team

Contributed by NC State Club Baseball

After kicking off the preseason with a victorious streak against its competitors, the NC State club baseball team is set to continue that success into the new year.

With four home series weekends this season, you won’t want to miss the Pack take on local opponents including UNCW and Elon at Optimist Park, with the first series beginning in just two short weeks.

Finishing out the 2019 spring season with an overall record of 13-9, NC State will keep the playoff bracket in mind throughout its play, in hopes of having a chance at competing for the trophy this year.

The schedule for the 2020 spring season is as follows:

Feb. 21-23: UNCW @ NC State

Feb. 28-Mar. 1: NC State @ UNC

Mar. 27-29: Elon @ NC State

Apr. 3-5: NC State @ ECU

Apr. 17-19: NC State @ Appalachian State

Once regular season play finishes, the playoff selections will begin with Regionals picking up in mid-May.

“Playoffs are really hard to get into,” said Justin Rhew, the vice president of the club baseball team. “You have to win our conference or be an at-large bid and then win that tournament to get into it.”

With the competitive nature put into this team, there are many shining players on the field, but there have been a few that have consistently stood out in helping with the Pack’s wins last season.

Jacob Faulkner

Senior Jacob Faulkner has been an asset to NC State’s roster for multiple years. He’s performed tremendously at the plate, showcasing a .382 batting average and a 1:2 strikeout to walk ratio. As the second baseman and the team’s lead triples, Faulkner has proved himself to be irreplaceable on the field.

Jake Gibson

As the junior leading pitcher, Jake Gibson will have an impressive year to come back from after posting a 5-1 record with a slimming 1.10 ERA for last season. Tallying up 32 strikeouts and giving up zero home runs, Gibson’s arm will be the Pack’s defensive source this season.

Bailey Jones 

Sophomore Bailey Jones is joining the Pack for his second season as a rotating player on the field, sourcing NC State with many field-play options. While Jones may not have been leading his team in batting average or on-base percentage, he was a solid player for the Pack and has continually proven himself this off-season. 

The Pack’s first series weekend will begin Friday, Feb. 21 against UNCW at Optimist Park, with games continuing over the weekend.