Pack lends hand in community

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:31 am

As we get close to the holiday season, people around the globe are embracing the spirit of kindness, generosity and goodwill to their families, friends and communities.

This aura of genuine magnanimity is not lost at N.C. State, especially with the women’s basketball team. The team went to Food Lion located on Western Boulevard Tuesday afternoon to make an impact in one Raleigh family’s life.

“The players have adopted a family for Thanksgiving and are delivering them a meal,” executive assistant Felicia Mangum said. “It’s a way of showing support and reaching out to those that are less fortunate.”

Mangum joined associate head coach Nikki West, senior guard Breezy Williams, sophomore forward Ashley Eli, sophomore guards Dominique Wilson and Kaley Moser, and senior forwards Julianna Prim and Kody Burke in the excursion to the grocery store and to the family’s house afterward.

“We’ve done this every year, and it’s been implemented through the Student Athlete Advisory Committee,” Burke said. “Each of the sports have done a similar action in the past. Ashley, Eli and I have spoken with [the woman we are supporting]. She is elderly, and she has been raising a teenage child. It’s a great feeling to help support her.”

“It’s a great community service event. All of us contributed as far as providing money for groceries. Any of us that had the time came out to go grocery shopping.”

The Athletic Department has made strides to encourage the student-athletes and teams to benefit the community.

“Usually, the athletic department will encourage players and teams to reach out to those less fortunate to show how appreciative they are and to learn how other people live,” Mangum said. “They always get blessed in return after they do something like that. They get more out of giving than anything else.”

At the end of the day, the family, the community and State all benefit from the endeavor.

“I think it’s huge for women’s basketball to let people see that they are average, ordinary kids,” Mangum said. “They appreciate the gifts they have been given, and it’s a way to bring the community in. Hopefully, they can come to the game.”

“It works both ways for student-athletes to be able to reach out to the community and hopefully bring the community in to see us.”