• February 6, 2016

Animal preserve article factually incorrect - Technician: Reader Feedback

Animal preserve article factually incorrect

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:43 pm

To whom it may concern, I am writing to express my concern with the article in Technician today about the animal preserve in Pittsboro. Let me first say that I fully support organizations that are genuinely trying to improve the welfare of animals, just as the food animal industry is. With that being said, the article printed in Technician today was absolutely riddled with misrepresentations and downright wrongful “facts”. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have no problem with papers presenting those “opinions.” However, from what I can tell the piece you all printed today was not presented as an opinion, and that I think is a serious problem. If I had time to go through and point out all of the factual errors in this piece I would, but with finals coming up for me that is not an option. I am an animal science graduate and current veterinary student, so I am certainly not implying that I know anything about how a newspaper operates, but I would be willing to bet that somewhere in the course of your education you were taught about using the platform you have ethically. Printing an anti-agriculture article in an agriculture school’s newspaper as an opinion piece would be one thing — like I said, I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But presenting what amounts to lies and myths as if they are facts is nothing short of irresponsible. I believe this article is a disgrace to this University, your organization, and all of the people that read Technician. I simply don’t understand how your organization could possibly think it is OK to quote someone on animal health who is (from what I can tell by her comments) not even remotely qualified to be speaking on the subject. In my business, doing something that erroneous is called incompetence. Next time you choose to run an article pertaining to animal health and welfare I think you should include some of the numerous people at this very campus who are experts in the field. If you don’t know who those people are or perhaps didn’t know they were here please let me know and I will certainly get you in contact with them.

The article is basically fictional, but the real problem here is that your organization saw fit to print it, and in doing so promoting ignorance to the majority of the student body who will not know what they are reading simply isn’t true. It is disgraceful, and I hope that Technician ceases to promote ignorance immediately.