Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane (copy)

Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane speaks at the State of the City Address on Friday, April 6, 2018 at the Contemporary Art Museum (CAM) of Raleigh. *McFarlane is not running for reelection in the 2019 race.

On October 8, 2019, Raleigh residents will vote for the first new mayor in eight years, as current mayor Nancy McFarlane is not seeking reelection

The filing period for the current election cycle will close on July 19, according to Ballotpedia. Currently, six individuals have expressed interest in running. 

Caroline Sullivan

According to Indy Week, Sullivan, a former Wake County commissioner and executive director of the N.C. Business Committee for Education, announced that she would be running in March and has already accumulated $215,000 in campaign funds during the first fundraising period from approximately 400 donors.

Charles Francis

A founder and attorney of The Francis Law Firm, Francis ran against McFarlane in 2017 and received 42% of the vote to McFarlane’s 57%. With over 275 donors, he has raised more than $150,000 for his upcoming campaign, according to Indy Week. 

According to his firm's website, Francis has served as a Raleigh City Council member, Raleigh Planning Commission member and Vice Chairman of Democratic Party of Wake County.*

Mary-Ann Baldwin

A former City Council member, Mary-Ann Baldwin, has also announced her candidacy. Baldwin is a former member of the Raleigh City Council, serving for 10 years.

Zainab Baloch

A community activist and numbers operations specialist at Even, a financial services company, Baloch is a first-generation American from Pakistan. According to The News & Observer, she would be the first Muslim and first woman of color as well as the youngest mayor ever if elected.

Justin Sutton

Sutton, a procurement attorney for the state of North Carolina, hopes to provide “a fresh perspective on local issues” if elected, according to his on his campaign website. Sutton’s focuses lie with giving city employees livable wages, managing city development to keep in mind Raleigh’s aging infrastructure and affordable housing.

George Knott

Knott is a musician with a platform focused on improving city planning, affordable housing and a few one-off ideas, such as banning leaf blowers because “There is no pride to be found in anything but a rake.”

Election day for the Raleigh Municipal Election is on October 8, with early voting beginning on September 18.

*Editor's note: Charles Francis's description has been updated for accuracy.