WellRec

Students participate in a cycling class, one of the many classes offered by University Recreation. These classes are held every day of the week in Carmichael Recreation Center.

Carmichael Gymnasium and Recreation Center employs over 700 students on campus and offers programs that allow students to become a nationally certified fitness trainer or instructor. Once certified, students can gain trainer experience through multiple positions available through the university.

The certification process consists of a weekly class that meets for six weeks and is followed by labs for practical experience. Emmarose Abbate, a third-year studying nutrition, is currently working to obtain her National Academy of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer certification. Abbate said she hopes certification will assist with her studies in nutrition.

“I started studying for it, and then in order to become a trainer here you have to become a strength and conditioning assistant too, so I figured while I’m studying for it, I might as well make a few bucks,” Abbate said.

With the certification, Abbate plans to retain her role as a strength and conditioning assistant but also spend time training clients.

William Craig, assistant director of fitness, said the path for every student employee looks different as students have the freedom to choose what suits them.

“If you’re personal trainer certified, we’ll let you cross over into the group fitness realm,” Craig said. “If you’re group fitness, you still have to have a personal training certification, just because there’s a higher level of risk in that one-on-one, intimate setting than teaching in a large-scale class.”

According to Craig, the gym offers an abundance of programs for students who are interested in things other than obtaining certifications, such as member services and sports program officiating. Craig said he hopes students utilize the gym as an opportunity to learn and grow and views Carmichael as an outlet for students of all areas of study.

A portion of Carmichael is currently under construction as a means to create more fitness space for students to utilize, Craig said. In turn, the expansion will create an even larger hiring push at the Wellness and Recreation Center next year.

Students interested in certifications offered by Wellness and Recreation can visit the NC State website for more information.