NC State’s STEM Media will host the first Technimetric Poetry Slam Thursday, where students will combine science, technology, engineering and math with poetry and spoken word.

According to a press release, the event will be a unique experience where students can share their skills in creative poetry, or perform spoken word about topics concerning science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Nehemiah Mabry, a graduate student in civil engineering approached STEM Media and his friends and colleagues about hosting the event due to his interest in poetry.

“The idea for the event really started with Nehmiah,” said Kris Rawls, a senior in biomedical engineering. “He’s very creative with poetry, and with him being an engineering major, he wanted to express himself through both those interests.”

Rawls said the Poetry Slam will give students in STEM majors a chance to show off their talent in ways they don’t normally have the opportunity.

“It’s combining two things from opposite spectrums,” Rawls said. “A lot of people are interested in poetry and creative work, but students studying science and math don’t really get a chance to showcase that type of talent.”

Rawls also said the event will help show that STEM students at N.C. State are multifaceted.

“This event is one of a kind and hasn’t really been done before,” Rawls said. “Hopefully, you’ll see what engineers and scientists can do besides crunch numbers. They have a creative side too.”

Organizers for the event hope to make it an annual occurrence. Refreshments will be available, and prizes will be awarded to the best performers.

The event will start at 6 p.m. in Caldwell Lounge.