Native American Heritage Month Graphic

NC State’s Multicultural Student Affairs will be hosting a collection of events in celebration of Native American Heritage Month. Native American Heritage Month was established on Aug. 3, 1990 by President George H. W. Bush to recognize Native American people, culture and traditions. NC State has chosen “Decolonizing & Reclaiming Indignity” as the theme for this year to understand the systems that have defined Native Americans today and to reclaim what it means to be indigenous.

Poole College Display Reveal

Third Floor of Nelson Hall

Tuesday, Nov. 12, 6-7 p.m.

Free

Poole College of Management will unveil a display of artwork created by a Native American artist on the third floor of Nelson Hall. The artist will be present at the event and all students, faculty and staff are welcome.

Native American Portrayal in the Media

512 Poe Hall

Wednesday, Nov. 13, 10:30 a.m. to noon

Free

Mackenzie Hunt, a third-year studying science education and zoology, and Jai Jackson, the director of graduate student recruitment, mentoring and success for the college of education, will be hosting a lecture discussing the use of movies and media in the classroom and being sure that they are accurately portraying Native Americans.

NAHM Cultural Night

Room 4280, Talley Student Union

Monday, Nov. 18, 6:30-8 p.m.

Free

This is an annual event showcasing Native American culture that is co-hosted by the Native American Student Association and Multicultural Student Affairs. The event will feature different North Carolinian powwow dancers performing various different styles of powwow and a chance for attendees to learn the basic steps of the routine.

Indigenizing the academy: Malinda Maynor Lowery

Room 3222, Talley Student Union

Friday, Nov. 22 at 3-4:30 p.m.

Free

Malinda Maynor Lowery is a member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, a historian, a documentary filmmaker and NC State’s indigenous scholar in residence. She is the director of the Center for the Study of the American South and a professor of history at UNC-Chapel Hill. She has written several award winning books and produced several award winning shows, documentaries and short films.

24th Annual American Indian Heritage Celebration

North Carolina Museum of History

Saturday, Nov. 23, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Free

The North Carolina Museum of History will be hosting its 24th annual celebration of American Indian history and culture. There will be many different types of events including speeches, exhibits and performances led by people of different tribal identities.

Taste of Native American Cuisine

Clark Dining Hall

Monday, Nov. 25, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

$9.24

Clark Dining Hall will be hosting its celebration of authentic Native American cuisine.

Chat & Chew: Thanksgiving v. Thanks“taking”

Multicultural Student Affairs Suite (Room 4261, Talley Student Union)

Monday, Nov. 25, noon to 1 p.m.

Free

This event is a discussion of how different people celebrate Thanksgiving in different ways and the historic reality of the holiday of Thanksgiving.

For a full list of events for Native American Heritage Month, visit Multicultural Student Affairs’ website.