In addition to being a leader of the Civil Rights Movement, a rhetorician and a poet, Martin Luther King Jr. was a lover of southern comfort foods. Honor the life and legacy of King with one of his favorite desserts — pecan pie.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently unroll the premade piecrust and place into the pie dish.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in pecan halves.
- Slowly pour mixture into pie dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cover the edges of the piecrust with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes to prevent burning.