Kwanzaa Celebration

Members of Uninhibited Praise Gospel Choir sing "O Come All Ye Faithful" during the Kwanzaa celebration held in Witherspoon Student Cinema on Dec. 6, 2018.

The African American Cultural Center will be celebrating Kwanzaa Wednesday, Dec. 4, from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Kwanzaa is a weeklong pan-African and African American holiday that is celebrated from Dec. 26 through Jan. 1. The holiday was established in 1966 by Professor Maulana Karenga. 

The holiday celebrates The Seven Principles which represent the values of pan-African culture and community. The principles are umoja (unity), kujichagulia (self-determination), ujima (collective work and responsibility), ujamaa (cooperative economics), nia (purpose), kuumba (creativity) and imani (faith). Each principle is represented by a candle that is lit each day of the holiday.

NC State’s African American Cultural Center celebrates Kwanzaa every year. Kwanzaa is celebrated early on campus so as not to overlap with Winter Break. This year, there will be two aspects to the campus celebration. The first will be a ceremony held in Witherspoon Cinema from 7 to 8:30 p.m. The second will be a feast, also known as karamu, which is held in Witherspoon 355 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.

The African American Cultural Center asks that people hoping to attend the feast register with a Google form. For more information about the campus Kwanzaa celebration, visit the event’s website.