Craft Center offers affordable, intensive day-long course

Campus Craft Center is offering a course even the busiest summer students can fit in.

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:00 am

With students filling up their summer plans, the Craft Center has made it convenient to keep enjoying their services, with their second bi-annual day-long "retreat."

The retreat began last year, in an effort to provide summer students with an opportunity to participate in a relaxing, creative activity. Rather than having to sign up for a regular six-week long class, students with a full schedule are encouraged to attend a retreat from 9 a.m . to 5 p.m . On this crafting adventure, beginning students can learn an art of their choice from the ground up, complete with learning to use advanced tools.

"Students can choose from attending an intensive course on pottery, stained glass, woodturning or metal jewelry," Jo Ellen Westmoreland, assistant director of the Crafts Center, said.

Once the day is complete, students will automatically receive a studio pass, allowing them free access to a studio and all its tools for both summer sessions. Not to mention, the Craft Center is providing a cookout lunch in the middle of the day. The price for the retreat totals to only $25, almost half of the usual studio pass rate.

"Passes usually range from $45 to the $60 range because you're paying for a full class. This is a really good deal and can fit into anyone's schedule," Westmoreland said.

While every student may not be interested in the four classes offered, the Craft Center paid careful attention to the options they planned for retreat.

"We picked the most popular classes, and took into account that some of them, like fibers, are too intensive to instruct in just one day," Westmoreland said.

Once a student receives a studio pass, all they'll need to buy are materials for their craft, and the rest is free as long as the Craft Center is open. Passes can also be renewed at the end of the summer for a fee.

The professors for these courses were chosen based mainly on experience. Rachel Allen will be teaching the woodturning studio. Though she is not a regular professor at the Craft Center, she was a former student and showed extreme skill in the craft.

Other professors, like Gaines Bailey, clay studio manager, work in the Craft Center already and are coming for the retreat to share their experience with others.

For Bailey, one of the more interesting parts of the experience is trying to fit a lot of material into a small amount of time for students.

"It's a really fun experience. It presents a bit of a challenge to a teacher to try and fit everything in one day," Bailey said.

Whether you're a lover of the Craft Center already, or you're looking for the opportunity to blow off some steam during a busy summer, you are encouraged to register for the retreat.

Students can find registration information at /crafts. Anyone can register until the class becomes full, or until the day of the retreat, whichever comes first.  

In Brief

• New food, rides coming to North Carolina State Fair

The State Fair starts Thursday, and there are a myriad of new food and ride options. Howling Cow will introduce a new ice cream flavor, Lemon …

• Roy Cooper announces run for governor

Attorney General Roy Cooper has announces his candidacy, Monday evening, for governor next year at Nash Community College in Rocky Mount. 58-year-old, Democrat, Cooper has been talking about planning for a bid for governor since 2013. He has been critical of policies pushed by the Republican-led General Assembly and GOP Gov. Pat McCrory who is seeking re-election.

• Amtrak hits stolen truck in Durham

An Amtrak train struck a stolen truck in the 3100 block of Hillsborough Road in Durham at about 7:45 a.m. Sunday. According to investigators, a person broke into Talbert Building Supply Saturday night and stole a delivery truck. The suspect drove the truck through a fence and onto the train tracks. When the train hit, the truck was abandoned. No injuries were reported.