• May 28, 2015

New programs help artists market work - Technician: Home

New programs help artists market work

The creation of two new programs on campus will help students learn to profit from their creativity

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 1:50 pm, Fri Jan 4, 2013.

The creation of new programs, like The Art Express workshop and the Arts Entrepreneurship minor, is sending a message to the student body--skills in the arts can go a long way both creatively and commercially.

The Art Express workshop was designed to help artists of all varieties learn how to market their work, whether it's in painting, design, music, or  theatre .

This is the first time The Art Express will be done at N.C . State. The cost is $49 for students and $98 for the general public, with the first class beginning on March 15.

Cheryl  Weisz , instructor for the workshop, has previously trained individuals in the course and provided  intel  for potential job opportunities.

"I have a lot of contacts in New York, Atlanta, in different places,"  Weisz  said. "So artists can actually get connected into the system."

In particular, students in the workshop will be taught what venues they should approach to get their work displayed or bought, how to approach them, and other important aspects like how to design a portfolio.

According to  Weisz , roughly 97 percent of her previous pupils were successful in getting their foot in an arts career or opportunity.

One such student, Susan Fry, was encouraged to send demo tapes of her music to various radio stations. Having liked one of Fry's lullaby tracks so much, a radio station owner requested her to write one for his son.

"From that one contact, she was asked to write another lullaby, and then two more, and now she is writing lullabies internationally and selling them,"  Weisz  said.

"It's important for an artist to define what success is to them. You have to work hard at the business of being an artist if you want to make a living of it," Jo Ellen Westmoreland, Assistant Director of the Crafts center and coordinator of the workshop, said.

A free information session about the workshop will take place on Thursday, Feb. 23, at 7 p.m .

While many students are excited about the program, The Art Express is not the only program generating buzz about the arts and business connection. The Arts Entrepreneurship minor is a relatively new idea, not only on campus, but also nation-wide.

N.C . State is one of only three universities in America to offer this minor to students.

Gary Beckman, Director of Entrepreneurial Studies in the Arts, was brought in to create the minor on campus, making it the first in the country to actually be offered to students majoring in any field.

"It's for any student who's interested in the arts, any student who wants to make a living with their art or, more importantly here, students who feel as if they can compact the production of art," Beckman said. "So perhaps they have ideas that help artists create better art."

The minor contains four courses and an advised elective, all of which can be completed within three semesters, according to Beckman.

"I have at least one student who in three years is going to have a multi-million dollar idea," Beckman said. "There's no doubt in my mind, and that's just one of my students."

The minor will be represented at the next campus  eGames , with the inclusion of an arts feasibility challenge and a prototype challenge, which will allow art entrepreneurs to display their creativity amongst engineers and the like.

The first-prize winner for each will receive $4,000.

"Art is this beautiful, magical, mystical thing that people, for some reason, can't live without. It may be  commoditized  in many ways for the 21st  century," Beckman said. "But the core magic of what it does to people, no matter the discipline, is still there."

The Art Express and the Arts Entrepreneurship minor are paving the way for individuals to enhance their arts prospects by allowing art and the innovations of marketing and business to work together.

In Brief

• NCCU chancellor accused of racism, misuse of state funds

Three North Carolina Central University employees have filed lawsuits against Chancellor Debra Saunders-White accusing her of discriminating a…

• House votes to exempt magistrates from marriage duties

The North Carolina House voted 64-45 Wednesday to allow magistrates and register of deeds to be exempt from performing weddings if they have a…

• Three new restaurants coming to Glenwood

On Wednesday, the Downtown Raleigh Alliance welcomed four new eateries on Glenwood South. The restaurants include Big Boom, featuring Italian cuisine; Pho Pho Pho Noodle Kitchen & Bar, offering Asian noodles and traditional Vietnamese meals; and Shuckers Oyster Bar & Grill. A reception followed the ribbon cutting. All three of the restaurants are located at 510 Glenwood Avenue.